08 October, 2008

A Momentary Lapse of GOP-Backing Responses

While I’ll occasionally receive a forward about Obama being a suspect alien, I’ve not heard a thing of substance arguing against Obama in weeks. Have Obama supporters, like me, made so many good points that these friends now see the light? Is the campaign that far gone for those rooting on McCain? Have McCain and Palin done so horribly that those supporting them no longer have the strength or desire to continue doing so?

Sincerely, you know who you are. If you at one point were supporting McCain, why has the conversation ceased? I’m trying so hard to figure out why none of my GOP-backing friends are telling me about Obama’s middle name, how he is just too “Liberal,” or how McCain is so much the better American.

Is it the VP pick, in the face of what has turned out to be the worst economic crisis since our grandparents were children? If I were a McCain advocate, I would have lost my marbles on the Palin pick with the economy in its dire straights. McCain has Mitt Romney for all of his flaws, who was a successful businessman; moreover, he fits most of the Right’s plank positions. Why didn’t McCain pick Mitt Romney?

Let’s back that up a bit, perhaps Romney could have been McCain’s golden goose. Why not? For one, we know that McCain hated Romney, so much so that McCain couldn’t face him during their debates. Senator McCain, that sounds like a temperament issue. Okay, that to the side, even if that was not an issue, what else is there? Oh – I get I, Romney is a Mormon. In part, because of Mike Huckabee’s mid-primary efforts, Romney’s religion would have likely kept many in the South sitting on their couches on 4-November. At least that was the GOP establishment, ala Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, et al, were probably saying—underground, at least.

For Senator McCain, we have a downward trending economy—we’ll call it that; although, it’s an understatement. In addition, we have an uninspired pick for Vice President, for which the following nicely sums up: http://www.salon.com/opinion/keillor/2008/10/08/palin/. Friends and countrymen, I know it must suck advocating on behalf of a party and candidate continuing George W. Bush’s incompetence right into the next campaign. I feel bad for you. I don’t think anyone will smugly laugh at you if you just concede that it’s about time for genuine change in Washington.

No comments: