27 October, 2008

Facebook and Detachment

I love writing for my blog, if for no other reason than expressing that which I’ve felt over a given period. One cannot deny the experience is not quite like a journal, which I’ve never been as good at keeping as corresponding with friends. As I am writing that, I am thinking of what had me write the above title. At the prompting of several friends over the past year, I’ve finally joined Facebook. Having done so, I am experiencing this incredible sensation predicated on my geographic and lifestyle changes.

Before I write further, I should preface this by saying I’m not regretting my move, nor am I regretting my aforesaid lifestyle changes. Of course, if you don’t know me well, the move was from Chicago to Boise, Idaho. From the lifestyle change perspective, we are speaking of my having traded working hard/playing hard for working well/living well, including doing a lot of running, all of that post-trauma.

Back to my point, joining Facebook has provided me a reconnection to many with whom I’ve not kept in touch. In so doing, I am realizing just how dynamic my friends’ lives have been. Being a human, like many of us, I tend to be rather self-centered. With that self-investment, it’s too easy to lost track of time and years gone by.

A few examples, browsing the page of one lady I knew, back at Illinois, I saw pictures of a friend of mine who went to Iowa. My friend, I’ve known him for twenty-plus years, and the girl, I knew as a younger classmate who worked at a sister bar to the one at which I bartended. Seeing the two of them in pictures, I asked my friend Paul if they were or had been dating. It turns out they have been dating for approximately four months. That’s a rather small example, but the point is that the little city of Chicago I left behind didn’t keep people from intermingling and meeting one another.

Of course, steps taken even further have been to see another woman, whom I one knew well, now married, looking as lovely as ever. In short, I always had a crush on this woman, and to see that she is now married, it leaves one thinking of years past. Of course, the last time I saw her was at Oasis playing UIC Pavilion back in 2005, when I had a girlfriend with whom I was enamored. The point is to say though that seeing these progressions leaves me feeling a bit intimidated about how fast life moves not just for me individually, but for everyone else. It’s the feeling that one doesn’t disagree with, hearing someone speak about it. Rather, it is all too easy right now to say, “No kidding, Sherlock? Everyone’s lives change? Surprise!”

With all of that said, however, it does not keep one from noticing it more vibrantly with this new medium through which it comes. It’s rather surreal, to say the least. It makes one miss those who are back in places of yore, be it Sherrard, Champaign, Memphis, or Chicago. Nevertheless, I do love having moved to Boise, the natural wonders are too nice to refuse.


Owyhee Lake - close to Boise

PS - I don't think I can / I am making it a rule to not access Facebook at work. If you send me a friend connection, and I don't confirm straight away, it's because of that. It will be later in the day.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Speaking about Facebook addiction, I'm sure you don’t regret signing up, do you? :-D

Matty said...

I don't think I do, but it's evoked such an odd feeling, I'm not sure how I feel about it...

Unknown said...

hahaha it heals by the time-going... it happened all the time for first-timer :-D

Anonymous said...

I think the dynamic nature of our lives is what keeps things energizing. Change is great - embrace it. Like you, I moved from Chicago to Boise, and I LOVE this place. I also like your comment on your "lifestyle change perspective"; that is, trading "working hard/playing hard for working well/living well." As we grow, our priorities change as well as our definitions of working, playing, and living. That doesn't mean that we forget or let go of our friends we've made in other places. We are so fortunate to be able to keep them and to make new friends wherever we go.