13 December, 2007

Sitting down to Write – Writing in Terms of the Metaphysics

Every once in a while, when I have the opportunity, I enjoy sitting down to write a bit to post here on this blog. What is quite odd to me is my propensity to do so when I don’t have anything that is particularly evoking thoughts of articulation. What’s more is the desire to sit down, nevertheless, and write something about, well as Aristotle put it, “being qua being.” For more information on the random phrase I just wrote, one can go to Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metaphysics_(Aristotle) for the quick and dirty. In short, it involves the analysis of something that is “being” for its own sake, not for any other reason.

Rather than delving into something that truly sounds as though it could be a vicious infinite regress, and how Aristotle establishes a defense in Book Alpha, and later Lambda, I simply think that like “to be”, there can be “writing qua writing”, right? In any event, I guess one could observe that I am a jackass for citing Aristotle’s Metaphysics to write about nothing except for their writing. Of course, it leads me to think otherwise, in the words of my favorite High School English/Writing Teacher, Dr. Thomas Watkins, “when have writer’s block, just start writing.”

Dr. Watkins is right in that assessment and suggestion, and you win the Team Award if you are still reading following that verbose introduction. It’s interesting in analysis what one comes up with when they are alone much of the time. I am, as some might say, an External Processor. With that, I find that I think a lot right now, not that I haven’t always, but going home to oneself, it provides for errands, reading and sleep. I do all of that following my runs. Prior to my run, I usually go to Java, my local coffee shop, wherein I am not too scared to start conversation with a random person or two. I have made wonderful conversation, and I have met some wonderful friends in the process. Sometimes, it is hard not to be self-conscious of the act, in that it is socially somewhat unconventional; however, I find that I reconcile all of that with a self-justification expost facto. Quite simply a friendly smile is enough to draw me into a discussion, and as you know me, I can typically speak about a good amount of trivial information.

Sometimes, I wonder if I come off as though I am trying “too hard,” in the process. I don’t know. What’s the most comforting is to find someone who is educated with a spouse or significant other, those are the most comfortable and forthcoming with invitations to have me sit down and enjoy my coffee. My friends Andrew and Lea were like that my first full Saturday here in Boise, and they have become age-wise my closest friends in Boise. Beyond that I met a lovely couple with children my age following my run on Sunday, Barry and Roz, native Irish folks who have lived in Boise for twenty-five years. Their younger daughter is getting her Master’s in Water Management, which led me to a rather robust discussion on Water Rights and to ponder how all that will go.

The simple point is that those with whom I speak on occasion make things all the more comfortable and enjoyable in my hours away from the office. The office is lovely on several accounts, but one of the greatest advantages is having nice folks here with whom I can speak. The challenge of course is making certain that all of that speech, while at work, is professional. I make a concerted attempt to always do so, and provided how much I have grown up in the past years; it’s not been too difficult. That is the nut of it, I suppose, one wants to be friends with their colleagues, but it is also important to keep work and life separate so as not to intertwine the two too much.

As I write this, I feel as though I have been here for so many weeks, whereas I have not. I am coming onto my third week here in Boise, and the time has flown by; however, in looking back over days, I feel like I have been here for quite a while. Perhaps that is because of all that I have accomplished, and the two full weekends here now following weekdays at work. Most certainly, I have my routines, which allow me a great deal of efficiency and control over my environment, which makes me think about something I once heard from someone older, “Matt, don’t be afraid of settling down sometime soon, and getting married. If you don’t, you’ll get too set in your ways.” Taking a step back from my life, I have to say, my love for routine and regiment are such that I now suppose there is some truth to being set in one’s ways; however, I don’t feel as though I should work myself into any big rush to settle down and get serious. I have yet to be on a “date” here in Boise, and I am cool with that moving forward as it should.

I did have a terrific “Man” date last night. Just prior my run, I received a phone call from my friend Terry. Terry’s wife was out taking care of some grandkids, and he was cooking soup. Following my quick run, I drove over to his, and sat down to a wonderful dinner. Dinners are such a joyous thing, and it was such a nice evening to sit with a friend that has an older person’s perspective. One can’t help but love the nuggets of wisdom that unintentionally come from someone with some years. By “unintentional,” I mean conversational suggestions, not stern talking-to’s or overt suggestions.

There it is, I surmise, the thoughts whilst sitting down to write, which is to say, “I live alone.” I enjoy living alone, and I have done so before, both in Memphis and Chicago. It is always an adjustment, one that requires ingenuity, but what is so interesting, it allows for greater control and regiment to my life. This weekend, since Bogus Basin is not yet open for skiing, just outside of the city, I am going to be productive in Boise one last weekend. Saturday morning will be a good run with a new running group, and following that, I am going to REI with my friend Andrew to pickup a new pack and some snowshoes. I want to then make one last push before I say, “My place is done.” Then, I will be ready to go on vacation for the week following next. My family and I are going to Nicaragua to see Sister Becca, and I couldn’t be more thrilled. Of course, what’s so fascinating about the excursion is the surprise-like way it is going to come upon me next week. I have been so head-down focused on sorting life here in Boise, I have not thought much about leaving the country with parents, aunts, and grandparents. As such, next week when I find myself back in Chicago for dinner and crashing at Zack’s on Friday, I will be awash with surrealistic sensations. Writing about it right now has me smiling as to how funny that will seem.

Again, that is moving elsewhere and living alone, it provides for so much introspection and reacquainting with oneself, the hermit-like self humor is always abound. I couldn’t be happier with that.

No comments: