08 December, 2007

A Lonesome Friday Night

As a departure from my rants on the state of things more political-economic, I am feeling a bit more introspective tonight. A quick admittance, it is 9:15PM on a Friday night, and I have nothing in the way of plans. Alas, these are the prices one pays for moving far away from one’s friends in a city they called home for four years. While writing that seems a bit morose, I feel nothing of the sort. From this evening’s events and this first complete week in Boise, I have nothing but the most sublime wash of self-satisfaction undulating over me.

I liken it to my drive from my apartment in the morning or evening, running to work, errands or whatever. In doing so, I drive away from my place by driving down a hill with a decline of approximately forty-degrees. Every once in a while, driving down my hill, I think to myself, “the life on these brakes is going to be reduced driving down this hill a couple of times per day.” These are the kinds of thoughts I am sure many people think in certain iterative circumstances, concerning the life and maintenance of one’s mechanical materials with finite lives.

Every time I find myself thinking those thoughts, I also find myself reconciling that internal complaint by acknowledging the fact that I moved here for the very topography I am now finding will shorten the lives of my brake pads. Indeed this is a small price to pay for migrating to a place with close proximity to wonderful mountains, rivers and streams. I suppose that is at the root of the famous “Opportunity Cost.”

What I find is so amazing about being solitary is the heightened awareness of the body’s nuances, which are probably more often than not well recognized by the busy and distracted human mind. I could go on and on about the minutia I note lying awkwardly on my couch typing this post.

What else the couch provides? A refreshing reminder of the importance existing on cable television, penultimately the talking head shows of twenty-four news channels, and ultimately VH1’s “I Love the XX’s” series. Indeed nothing is more fulfilling from a self-awareness perspective than knowing one is the target demographic for inexpensive programming predicated from boredom and nostalgia.

Why I am not out is because I am going to get up in the morning to run errands. Action-packed, I know. Listen to this list of excitement, the DMV, Target, Boise Bench Commission (for a dinner table), and the grocery store for whatever I couldn’t obtain at Target. While I make fun of how unexciting that is, my sister would love to run to the furniture/Target, in the comfort of my car. What can I say, for everything we can whine about, we can always put it in perspective. Beyond not having an exciting evening and a busy morning, I am so happy to be here in Boise. I am having a love affair with the city; my job and the folks here only serve to enhance it. It’s great to wake up every morning having this perspective.

No comments: