29 November, 2007

Tablerock Boise

I need to buy a camera. I have one right now, but it is packed on a trailer, somewhere between Chicago and Boise. In the meantime, my beloved Mother and I spent a good deal of time in the past few days, while she was here in Boise, exploring the surroundings. What I have found in exploring Boise is the presence of beauty, topography, and nature in close proximity to my new apartment, which is exactly why I moved to this city.

Boise is nestled at the base of a series of lovely foothills, which border the city from the North. During my daily runs, I often times will run East from where I am currently staying, along some streets, then through a golf course. While running through the golf course, there is a hilltop high above my head in my view. On the hilltop, there is a cross and a good number of antennae, many of which are for either cellular or radio traffic.

The day before my first day at work, Mom and I were thinking of things to do for a short bit, prior to dinner. I was speaking with one of the lovely young college students up at the front-desk, and she suggested, "Drive up along Broadway; turn right, and take the windy roads up to 'Tablerock'." Mom and I grabbed my car; drove up the foothills bordering us to the East, but drove down. At the point, I was driving through a ravine, along a dirt road somewhat covered in snow. We turned around, and drove back up the hill. Nearing the top, I saw the street running perpendicular with a sign saying "Tablerock." I turned left, and up we went.

Tablerock is the hilltop I was just speaking of, the one with the cross and antennae. We parked my car, and got out, looking both North and Southwest over the city.

It's so amazing to me how sometimes due to hundreds of years of literary romanticism; one takes in a view, and sees it in its most romantic setting. I stood there looking over the city and over the mountains ahead, and I thought to myself, "My goodness, this is perfect; this is why I moved to Boise." It genuinely felt that resolute. I can only draw analogies to being close to the Pyrenees in the Basque part of Spain.

While I can go endlessly about all of the things in Boise, by which I have been captivated, I am under strict instructions. In short: I am not supposed to tell others how great it is here in Boise. I fear more of the country now knows, but that is a bias I hold individually. I think this xenophobia has existed here since the Interstates were built. With that, I think that I am not the first transplant to hear, "keep it a secret." Whatever the case, it is just such a wonderful place. As you are my friends, please of course, keep this little bit between us a secret. In the meantime though, I could not be happier about my decision to move here to Boise. Is this area problem free? No, of course it isn't, but I am not sure of anywhere that is. In short, I am looking very forward to discovering the wide array of dimensions to life here in Boise. I don't find myself missing general components to life in Chicago, viz., the aesthetic. Rather, if I miss anything, it is seeing my friends so often. Check that, however, as my last year in Chicago saw the returns on frequent encounters diminishing. With that, those components one misses in their mind's eye are sometimes things that weren't there as they seem to have been. I suppose that is very similar to the way one looks back upon a relationship. Whatever the case 'tis not for me to say tonight.

In short, netting everything out, I couldn't be happier to be here in the Mountain West, and I haven't even been skiing yet. It is brilliant.

2 comments:

Carrie Ann said...

I've never skied before, but I would absolutely kill to fly fish some of the rivers within driving distance of you.

Also all of the camping and hiking around...so dreamy.

Matty said...

I love skiing, after some lessons, it's the way to go. Fly fishing, I have never done, but I plan to pick it up. I will probably see locally about taking some lessons, or something along those lines. I feel like it would be too much of an imposition to join in without experience or gear. Camping and hiking, I already have some big plans!