19 November, 2007

The Sentence and Its Structure

In going over my blog from yesterday, I found myself laughing. As I am sure many of you knew prior my first post, or have found out since, I tend to write in long complex sentences. As sentences go, some may well be imperfect, but I do most of my writing as I think through it.

What can I say? I beckon Kerouac's justification via methodology, "Streaming Consciousness"? Writing verbosely is the way I think and speak. I cannot say why that is the case, except perhaps that, for me, it is preferential. Trying to write other than the way I speak is insipid, if not for my readers, it is so for me.

One can say that about the principle of blogging, I suppose. At its roots, blogging is rather self-indulgent. I write because I enjoy it, not because I am so vain as to think you, my readers, are continuously curious about how or what I am doing. It is nicer to think the latter, but logging in to blog is more of a selfish pursuit.

That begs a big philosophical question, I guess. Similarly, on what I just said, cooking, writing, journalism, music or film are ultimately self-indulgent. In summarization one could take from that all art and communication, or the motivations therein, are due to one's wants and desires. Provided epistemologists and behavioral psychologists study these things interminably, my thought is that, no matter how long my sentence, I will not resolve the issue.

With that, the link below is one that I will point you to for writers of long sentences. Provided Faulkner and Joyce are the two most quickly referenced in the article, I feel a good sentence is in good order. What is the definition of "sentence"? From my memory, the statement concerns the conveyance of a complete thought. There are then "complex sentences," which contain main and subordinate clauses.

Whatever the case, I have evaded work in professional writing largely because of my love for the long sentence and my verbose style. Quite simply, I fear the red pen of the editor, the pen and the need for concision.

Please have a look below at the link I've pasted. What are your thoughts on sentence structure, any?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest_English_sentence

10 comments:

Ben Ferguson said...

I like brevity. I suck. I know.

Matty said...

Really? I have to quote the first sentence from your blog: "Stephen Dubner, of Freakonomics fame and now-NY Times blogger, points us to an economics study concluding that, when taking into account mortality and economic value of life, each pack of cigarettes ultimately costs over $222 for men and $94 for women."
http://nosugrefneb.com/weblog/

Unknown said...

Here's what I think. If you love to write for yourself, then keep a private journal and be as self-indulgent as you want. Maybe leave the journal on your nighstand when you die and hopefully Doris Kearns Goodwin will write an award-winning bio about what an amazing, unique person you were and how your life exemplifies the era you lived in.

However, most people write for others - bloggers especially, who rely on immediate, written responses from their audience. So if you care about others (and who doesn't?), I think you should write that way - in your syntax, vocabulary, and length. Look at any of the big columnists (Tom Friedman, Peggy Noonan - even George Will, who likes to throw in 1 or 2 dictionary words per column). There's a balance to be struck and they're good at striking it. They write artfully yet inclusively.

Of course, that's just my opinion.

Matty said...

Todd,
Indeed, to a large extent you are right, about that there is no question. One should write for their audience; however, my challenge is that I don't have a good vein for knowing what the right metric is for styling something more popular. Moreover, I don’t have the time to truly filter and edit drafts down to the forms of those you mentioned.

While you most definitely cite writers whose work is deliberately palatable, you do so suggesting I perhaps have their level of staff, time or talent. Don't think Hemmingway, Will or Friedman aren't beloved authors of mine. In short, I most definitely respect the talent it takes to draft brief impacting sentences. The greater challenge is devoting the time required to publish works so delicately crafted. I have heard numerous anecdotes concerning how Hemmingway toiled for hours over one sentence.

In short, as I am not a professional nor paid for this, I reserve the right to not produce repeated Friedman-esque drafts of delightful populist prose. I will certainly try, but I have a favor to ask. In all of your spare time, can you please help me edit?

Unknown said...

I see. I think we're operating from different premises. I'm assuming that it's easier to write shorter, simpler sentences. But you're saying that's it's easier for you to write longer, more complex sentences, and that it would actually require more time, energy, and talent to write less or to write simpler. A bit countertuitive, for me (and I emphasize "me").

As I said, I think the success of any blog (as opposed to a politically subversive circular or crazy-ass manifesto) depends on size of readership and number of responses. If that means dumbing it down, I think it's worth it. Otherwise, I think the blogger arrives at cross-purposes with himself.

Matty said...

Todd,
I hear what you are saying, and based on the number of comments concerning the style of prose and language over Thanksgiving, I think you are on to something. By no means were any readers or family members complaining, but it says something when people speak using terms "education" or "effort" when speaking on the subject matter or required thought.

Therefore, Todd, resolved, I am going to attempt to write blogs that don't seem so complex.

Of course, you should also note that aforementioned family members at Thanksgiving also asked about some of the "responders" to my blog. They wondered if I had friends that would write so critically.

Todd, I can see you rolling your eyes right now, mumbling grief towards me about incorporating the concerns of my Grandmother, but anecdotally, you have to provide it some credit.

Todd, be nice to the Grandma's of the world -- you bad man.

Unknown said...

Not fair! There's no response to "The Grandma Argument!" Ha ha. Matt, it's your blog, keep writing like yourself.

My comments do come across a bit harsh because I make the mistake of using "you." (in the first comment). I mean "you" as in "you" the hypothetical person and not "you" as in Matt Johnson.

Anyway, Matt, we've always enjoyed lively conversation and I hope we continue to do so, across fly-over country and cyberspace.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Matty said...

Todd, Todd,
One should never write in the second person, unless of course, it is addressed to one person in particular.
Alas, no reason for apologies, I didn't take it badly. In short, to of my friends, you and Robert, both Squires, said roughly the same thing...
Duly Noted - Peace from Boise!

Anonymous said...

Hi Matt from Boise,
I almost did not even comment because after reading a few of your posts I feel rather ignorant when comparing your way with words to mine. Anywho...I love the way you express your thoughts. Check out my site sometime www.mytrivialramblings.blogspot.com

p.s. Hope that you are settling well and are happpy in Boise.

Matty said...

Thanks for dropping in and reading, if nothing else! Thanks for your compliments, of course, I never mean to come off so gnostic with my writing. Oh well, I am pursuing the unfiltered matty. Thanks again!