02 September, 2008

Let’s See, Other Thoughts from this past Labor Day Weekend

It’s interesting, when talking to an old friend on the phone today, who went to LA for the weekend, what one can state about their weekends, respectively. While one summarizes their weekend’s past itinerary and what it was that was notable; thinking back over this past weekend, much of it was rather standard. I ran my “long run” on Saturday, which this week involved a mere 12 miles. From there, I went over to Java and played around a bit on an Economist, or something. Then I went to the CoOp to buy a few meat dishes for a colleague, her husband and I to eat at dinner on Saturday. Normally, I would prepare those things myself, but since I was taking the dishes to her house, along with some of my risotto, I felt like taking the easy way out, what with their already being packaged.

Dinner was nice, and it was interesting, as my colleague’s husband is a well informed financial professional. Jim’s perspective on today’s issues and the real estate market were quite interesting. My colleague had surgery on her hip, but seems to be doing much better, now that her surgery is several weeks behind her. Her spirit seemed quite up, which is what one hopes; prior her surgery, one could tell she was in pain.

Following from that was Sunday, which was nice. I went to church, like usual, and enjoyed spending time with my friend Betty, and the rest of the women with whom I sit. Betty and I, like usual, went for coffee afterward, and I met a nice women as we were leaving coffee. From there, I went to prepare for a marvelous Built to Spill show for Sunday evening.
Built to Spill played my favorite album of theirs, “Perfect from Now On.” It was masterfully performed, and I left pleased that I was in attendance. I adore Built to Spill, and living here in their hometown, I am delighted when I get to see them, with so many that no something more intimate about them.

Beyond that, yesterday was a nice day of rest. I went to Java—undoubtedly, you’re detecting a pattern, and I made some new friends. Right now, not that this is necessarily uncommon for me, I am in the friend-making business. Moving to a new city can be challenging, and Boise, being a smaller city doesn’t have nearly as much churn; therefore, culturally, the people, while friendly, are not as accustomed to having new folks integrated into their social circles. That is by no means a rule, but is something I have, from time-to-time, experienced.

Waking up this morning, with everyone else in the States off yesterday, was just so nice. It was nicer than vacation, largely because it wasn’t as though there was too much in the way of work being done while I was out. That’s always nice and refreshing, not to come back to a plethora of already started work.
That was it, a great Labor Day weekend.

1 comment:

everydayjae said...

I totally relate to awkwardness of breaking into Idaho's social circles. They are so well formed, and in a way I've never experienced in any other community, that you almost feel BAD for intruding into their lives, what with not actually being an Idahoan yourself. At least, that's how it feels for me. Friend making is a good business to be in, though! And like all business, there will be only as much gained as gambled.