03 June, 2008

Fascinating Excursions

I often wonder if iterative self-analysis or self-assessments are consistent across the board. I relate that, because as I sat down to aimlessly play on the internet, in the midst of my workday, I went to LinkedIn. I spend a lot of time on LinkedIn, since I moved to Boise. Part of me wonders if LinkedIn is an escapist outlet for re-establishing connections and correspondence that one wouldn’t otherwise do.

For those of you not familiar with LinkedIn, it is, in essence, a social networking site, similar to Facebook or MySpace. The exception to LinkedIn is that it is for “professionals.” Rather than the aforementioned websites—Facebook or MySpace, LinkedIn is work-acceptable, in that it enables one to keep in contact with current or former classmates or colleagues.

I digress, except to say that as I was going to LinkedIn today, I wondered, “are you going here so often whilst at work, because it is escapism? Is this an avenue to keep in contact with former colleagues, or is it also another means to keep up-to-date with how people are and what they are up to?”

For right now, I have to admit, I think it is a bit of both. While I used to play around on MySpace, I don’t find myself nearly as interested in the site any longer. I would say that is largely the case in that I am growing older, and my friends now, at this age, don’t belong or play on MySpace. Rather, nearly everyone I know, who are professional in some context, are alive and well on LinkedIn.

Wow, I just came full circle to find: one, my friends and I are grown up; two, I “escape” every once in a while; three, I am too up on current events to occupy more time than I do at home with the media.

Quick question: Is iterative self-analysis predicated on an idiosyncrasy, or is it on too much alone time?

2 comments:

Jon said...

Matt - I am often found lost and wandering round Facebook, but I must say that for me it manages to retain a 'grown up enough' feel and enables me to keep in contact with old friends from across the pond ... I don't suppose I can tempt you to the dark side though? LinkedIn has always left me feeling cold.

- Jon

Matty said...

Jon,
You know, Facebook, like MySpace, not that Google is necessarily any better, is just another tool through which information about us is tabulated. I feel like Meta-Data, along with Data, about Matt is already too well collated.